|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|Vital articles: Level 5 / People|
i got to "william caslon" page by klicking on his name in the "typeface" volume. it is written there ("typeface") that he released the "egyptian" font in 1816. in his volume it's written that he lived between 1692 to 1700 and something. is these dates are maKING ANY SENSE?
Isn't his company still going? These people say that this Wm. Caslon founded their company in 1720---Caslon Ltd of St. Albans, Herts. Is this really a decendant of the original Caslon foundry? They do seem to sell actual, physical founts (fonts...) ButterStick (talk) 09:09, 28 November 2007 (UTC)
Yes, the St Albans company is run by descendants of William Caslon. The managing director today is W. Richard Caslon, with the W. doubtless standing for William. It was previously run by his father, Roy. It sells a range of equipment mainly concerned with business cards and stationery (such as thermography, blocking/embossing, metallic foiling, cutting cards to size and so on). It also owns the old Adana range of very small letterpress platens, which are no longer manufactured new but it refurbishes old examples and sells spares and accessories. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Simoneccles (talk • contribs) 13:11, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
William Caslon References
Here are some references that will be used for continued work on the William Caslon page.
- Haden, H.J. William Caslon: Master of Letters. Technology and Culture, Vol. 15, No. 2 (Apr., 1974), pp. 329-332
- A printed specimen of Caslon Old Style type with appropriate ornaments: being the first of a series of books showing the many beautiful types. New York: [Redfield, Kendrick, Odell Co.], 1921. Print.
william caslon resources
- William Caslon. Science and Its Times. Ed. Neil Schlager and Josh Lauer. Vol. 4: 1700 to 1799. Detroit: Gale, 2000. p441-442.Word Count:80.
- Printing Industry. Dan Kirklin. Dictionary of American History. Ed. Stanley I. Kutler. Vol. 6. 3rd ed. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2003. p466-470.Word Count:3340.
- Type and Typography. Jim Martin. Encyclopedia of Journalism. Ed. Christopher H. Sterling. Vol. 4. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference, 2009. p1405-1409.Word Count:2718.
- Jong, Cees de. Creative type : a sourcebook of classic and contemporary letterforms / Cees W. de Jong, Alston W. Purvis, Friedrich Friedl ; [translated from the Dutch by Roz Vatter-Buck, Doe-Eye]. London ; New York : Thames & Hudson, 2005. 399 p. : ill. (some col.), ports. ; 26 cm.
I would like to add many thing in this page. I would add:
- His picture
- Early life
- His contributions
- His achievements
- work detail
- More References
- @Theredproject: you were apparently giving guidance to this editor, and copied the live article into his User:Kpervaiz/sandbox, after which he integrated more material there, but did not edit here again. Please would you review and incorporate what is useful into the live article, then redirect that WP:COPYARTICLE? – Fayenatic London 07:09, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
That would have been from a 2013 wiki Ed supported course. Anything useful would have already been included in the article. And/or would be largely useless, because it has been 8 years and the article has improved since then. Please feel free to blank or redirect that sandbox, or if you prefer, I can do so. Theredproject (talk) 08:17, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
1st Peer Review
So far it looks like your work on Caslon is going well. Your page is aesthetically pleasing, as you have added visuals and your external link section looks promising as well as your overall organization. A possible category that you might consider adding is a section on the thoughts of others on Caslon for example, quotes or opinions on him and his work. Your sources all seem legitimate so far, the addition of more will possibly give your page a more well rounded foundation. Jfgx4 (talk) 02:25, 4 December 2013 (UTC)
I like the way your article looks nice pictures I feel that the specimen sheet looks weird where it is but it is not a huge deal. The information you have good and the bibliography is nice but the due date is coming up and I don't know if the rest of it is in sandbox. Kpol1298 (talk) 04:51, 4 December 2013 (UTC)